Saturday, January 09, 2016

Review: The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West

Title: The Fill-In Boyfriend
Author: Kasie West
Series: -
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 352
Published: May 5th 2015 by HarperTeen
My rating: 3.75/5 stars

 
Goodreads summary: When Gia Montgomery's boyfriend, Bradley, dumps her in the parking lot of her high school prom, she decides to do the unthinkable…convince the cute guy waiting to pick up his sister to pretend to be her boyfriend for the night. The task is simple: two hours, zero commitment, a few white lies. The problem is that days after prom, she can't stop thinking about her fill-in boyfriend. But can Gia turn her fake boyfriend into a real one without exposing her lie and possibly destroying her friendships and her newfound relationship? Smartly observed and wonderfully romantic, Kasie West's talent shines in this tale of one girl's unexpected quest to find love…and possibly herself.




First sentence: "In some part of my brain, probably the logical part that seemed to be missing at the moment, I knew I should let go and walk away, maintain some of my dignity."

My review
I've never read anything by Kasie West before, but I had a few of her books on my goodreads TBR-list. I thought that I'd give this a shot and I'm happy I did. I really liked The Fill-In Boyfriend. I actually thought that this book would be a little immature and more childish than it turned out to be. It was a good book :)

I didn't have any real problems with the character other than with Gia's frenemy Jules. The girl was really really rude and she just made me so incredibly mad. Other than that, the characters were more or less okay. I loved Fill-In Bradley A LOT. I loved that he was quite nerdy, and nice and just so genuine. I liked Gia's new friends much more than her old ones. Fill-In Bradley's sister was also a character that I really enjoyed reading about. Gia was nothing special. All her problems made me... tired. I didn't understand all her decisions and she made me confused at times.

“Well, if you're a mess then I'm a natural disaster."
"The cutest natural disaster I've ever seen.”

The writing was average, nothing extraordinary, but it was easygoing enough for me to like it. And the book was funny too, because of the characters. It was a little embarrassing too. Which Young Adult Contemporary Romance isn't?? It was cute! I really enjoyed this YA book. The book itself was more than average but I don't think it deserves more than 4 stars. It's more than I liked it but a little less than I really liked it! That equals about 3.75 stars.

- The ending was too short in my opinion, a little sudden maybe.
- Gia was shallow but she was better in the end I guess!
+ It was very easygoing.
+ I laughed a bunch of times :)

Why should you read this?
Because it's a cute YA romance with a fun side to it. And there's a cute boy and lots of misunderstandings that will make you frustrated (but I guess that's good?). And yeah, it's fun! :)

6 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm really debating on reading this one, but I've heard such mixed reviews...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryce! I think you should pick it up :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Filippa! I wanted you to know that your blog is really beautiful, and I love to read it.

    I also wondered how you make the little boxes inside of your posts, like you have done in this post with the summary. It looks so nice and clean and I would love to be able to do something similar for my own blog, but I don't know how.

    Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! :) And thank you so so much for saying that♥♥

      The boxes are called blockquote and it's one of the icons above the place where you write a new post. If you google Blockquote Blogger you'll see how to do it :)

      Delete
  3. Tyckte verkligen om den här boken, läste ut den för ungefär 1 timme sedan. Tyckte om att det inte bara var romantik utan att dem även inkluderade bland annat familjeproblem och en personlig utveckling. Kändes mer äkta

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you comment on here I'll always check out your blog and try to comment something back :)