Sunday, October 25, 2015

Review: The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness

Title: The Rest of Us Just Live Here
Author: Patrick Ness
Series: -
Genre: Young Adult, Fiction, Contemporary, Friendship, Fantasy, Paranormal
Pages: 336
Published: August 27th 2015 by Walker Books
My rating: 4/5

 
Summary: What if you aren’t the Chosen One? The one who’s supposed to fight the zombies, or the soul-eating ghosts, or whatever the heck this new thing is, with the blue lights and the death? What if you’re like Mikey? Who just wants to graduate and go to prom and maybe finally work up the courage to ask Henna out before someone goes and blows up the high school. Again. Because sometimes there are problems bigger than this week’s end of the world, and sometimes you just have to find the extraordinary in your ordinary life. Even if your best friend is worshipped by mountain lions (via Goodreads.com).

First sentence: "On the day we’re the last people to see indie kid Finn alive, we’re all sprawled together in The Field, talking about love and stomachs."


This book was very unique and had an interesting, new perspective on “The Chosen One”. The concept was so intriguing and I knew I would like it. I know that a lot of people l o v e his books and I definitely see why now. I need to pick his other books up asap!

The Rest of Us Just Live Here reminded me of Will Grayson, Will Grayson and I’ll Give You The Sun, except the paranormal and fantasy parts of course. Out of these three books, I enjoyed The Rest of Us Just Live Here the most! If you have read one of the books above, you should read the others too :)
“Not everyone has to be the Chosen One. Not everyone has to be the guy who saves the world. Most people just have to live their lives the best they can … All the while knowing that the world makes no sense but trying to find a way to be happy anyway.”
I loved how real the characters and their lives were. I think a lot of people can connect with them on an emotional level, and that’s so refreshing. I also loved Patrick Ness’ writing, a lot. The book gave me a realistic picture, and perspective, of a teenager’s life - with humour, mental health, family issues etc - and I really liked that. It’s such a clever and beautiful written book. True to reality, which is important to me. In every YA books, it’s usually The Chosen One who saves the world in the end, but not in this book.. Technically..

The mix of contemporary and fantasy was so much fun and it was a really interesting idea. I loved how the genres flowed together naturally and how fun the book was. Mikey, the narrator was one of my favorite characters. I loved how he sometimes talked to the reader and I really enjoyed seeing things from his point of view. Jared was a lovely character as well. His power was, if I may say, weird but still very cute. I loved him. Their relationship was perfect and I admire them so much. It would've been fun to read from Jared’s POV though... Don't you think?
 
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It was my first Patrick Ness book and it did let me down. I want to read his other books so bad. I've heard a lot of positive things about them, and that makes me so happy. I have some books to look forward to..
Other books by Patrick Ness:
1. The Knife of Never Letting Go (2008)
2. A Monster Calls (2011)
3. More Than This (2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! If you comment on here I'll always check out your blog and try to comment something back :)