Monday, September 21, 2015

Review: The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

Title: The Winner's Curse
Author: Marie Rutkoski
Series: The Winner's Trilogy, #1
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance
Pages: 359
Published: July 3rd 2014 by Bloomsbury Childrens Books
My rating: 5/5

 
Summary: Winning what you want may cost you everything you love.
As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions. One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction.
Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin. But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined (via Goodreads.com).

First sentence: "She shouldn't have been tempted. This is what Kestrel thought as she swept the sailors' silver off the impromptu gaming table set up in a corner of the market."

I'm so happy that I finally picked this one up. I had read so many great reviews and heard so many good things about it so I couldn't stand it anymore. I needed to see what it was all about. It was not only the good reviews that made me want to read the book, it was the plot and the fact that I was in the mood for a great dystopian book. And it was a great book to my delight. As a matter of fact, it was lovely. The characters were very lovable and amazing, the world building was very well done and the writing was so good and easy to read. I really enjoyed and I truly recommend this book!


I loved the slave thing, really. I liked that Kestrel bought him and that they had some kind of love/hate relationship, although it was more in the love direction in the end. And for once, it was a relationship which evolved nice and slow and not like BOOM - all at once. The "forbidden love" was indeed painful to read about at some points, but it brought out so many FEELS. Kestrel and Arin are seriously perfect for each other. They NEED to be together.

I enjoyed the second part of the book so much. The end was super eventful in comparison to the beginning. There was so much going on, but it didn't make me confused (that's the best thing!). The power shifting between Kestrel and Arin was an awesome idea and made the book more interesting and intense... and it brought out more feels, if that's even possible. Kestrel was a really nice master when Arin was her slave, and when the roles were suddenly reversed, Arin was so protective and thoughtful. And one more thing that I loved, Arin got his house back and Kestrel got his mothers' room (or am I mistaken?). How sweet was that?

I'm sorry if you wanted to find a flaw or a reason not to read this book, but there was nothing I did NOT like that comes to my mind. Seriously. I loved this book so much. And I really really think that you should read it!

This book was everything I wanted and wished for in a book. It was romantic, interesting, clever, fast paced and with entertaining characters - especially with a kick ass powerful heroine. And she was smart. What could be better? :)
Other books in the series:
1. The Winner's Curse

2. The Winner's Crime
3. The Winner's Kiss (2016)

1 comment:

  1. SV: Vad kul att höra att du gillade alla böckerna :D Jag ser fram emot att få läsa dem också ^^

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you comment on here I'll always check out your blog and try to comment something back :)