Sunday, October 26, 2014

» Book Review: The Selection - Kiera Cass

Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #1
Genre: Young Adult, (Dystopian), Romance
Pages: 327
Published: April 24th 2012 by Harper Collins USA
My Rating:

Summary:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


Quick summary of my thoughts: I was hooked from early beginning to the very end. I had NO idea that I would like it as much as I did (do). I loved this book. Such a fun, cute and fangirl-ish read. I really enjoyed it and I can't wait to read the other books!

The review can be a little messy because of feelings.. and fangirling here and there. Be prepared :) (It does not contain spoilers)


THOUGHTS:
I truly liked the Selection as a whole, even though I would change a few things that I didn't like as much as, eh.. other things. And I love the concept of this book, I really do!! Such an interesting story to me, and Prince Maxon is pretty hot.

The beginning of the book was a little blurry to me. I thought it went on too fast. But at the same time I really liked that the book was fast-paced and such a easy read. The only thing I liked though, about the first part of the book (before the Selection), was the moments with Aspen, so I didn't mind the too-fast-paced beginning that much.. It was okay, because it lead to Maxon ;)

Me, like, lets say, all the time with Maxon around.
As I mentioned in my summary up there, I did not expect that I would love the book this much. I thought about it as a cheesy love story (...a really bad love story. So stupid of me), which is a completely different thing from what I read. It was fun, so cute but still action filled and I loved it. While reading this book I lived in the castle, I felt what America felt. It was amazing. Just as I like it to be when I read a romantic book.

Now to the characters.. at first I liked Aspen a lot, I still liked him. And I had this feeling/theory thing that he would appear later in the book.. and yeah, you know what happens. And after that I still like him. But I don't want to like him. Because I love Maxon :(

Maxon, I volunteer as tribute...
America is all okay in my oppinion. I love her personality. She's so nice and she cares so much about the people she love. I love that about her. I love America's relationships with her sister, father and the maids :) I actually enjoyed reading about Celeste even though I HATE/D her, so. much. She's so mean and ugh, I can't handle her.

Maxon, on the other hand, is my favorite character. And yes, I lovelovelove him. He's so nice and cute towards America and I'm dying inside. I found myself smiling like a total moron while reading parts like: "Yes, Maxon," I whispered. "It's possible." while doing something like this . You probably understand.


The Selection brought out my inner fangirl.
This is me right now, after reading the book.
Kiera Cass' writing style was as I said very easy to read. It really was a face-paced book. I read it almost to fast, in one day I think. But if I like a book I like to read it quick, just because. I can't wait to read The Elite, and then The One. And then The Heir! So excited for the new book to come out. I think there will be two or three??

If you enjoy reading a cute love story at the same time as an action-kind-of story, this is the right book for you!


Did the book sound interesting? Add it to your Goodreads!

8 comments:

  1. Jag älskar The Selection-böckerna. Kommer ihåg att jag slukade dessa böcker på bara några dagar i somras. Du får se till att läsa The Prince när du är klar. Massa good Maxon-stuff ;) The Guard är också läsvärd även om den inte var lika bra. Men intressant att få en klarare bild av Aspen också.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tack för påminnelsen! Hade helt glömt bort novellerna. Läste klart The Prince förut och jaaa, väldigt mycket good stuff :)

      Delete
  2. Fullkomligt älskar the Selection-serien hittills! Kul att även du gillar den! Köpte The One idag, och ser sååå framemot att få läsa den :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Den är underbar! Ska precis börja läsa The Elite :) Maxon<3

      Delete
  3. I have to agree with you on America. I really liked her in this book. Even though she was living in the castle she didn't change. She was still humble and true to herself.
    And Maxon! Oh Maxon! He is just.. ugh XD I don't have words for how much I love him :D I liked Aspen too. At the start of the book but later on.. Not so much, hehe :)
    Great review Filippa :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vad söta ugglor! Vill läsa boken! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm like the rest of you so totaly in love with Maxon. I can't wait to read the Elite because I want more of Maxon! :3 <333

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you comment on here I'll always check out your blog and try to comment something back :)